Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 5: Project Based Learning, Alternative Assessment, Rubrics & WebQuests


-During this week, I investigated very important topics related to the teaching of EFL thanks to this web-skills course. One of the main topics is the use of PBL in the EFL classroom. It was an interesting opportunity to rethink about how I use this PBL with my students. I used to assign projects the traditional way. But now I start introducing online tools and electronic content to help my students come up with interesting projects and teach them some new skill that they will need in their real life.
I also had a chance to explore some Alternative Assessment techniques and pickup one of them (Student e-portfolio)   to develop it as a project. At this very moment my students are busy trying to create their spaces on Weebly.com and getting the content from their binders to have an e-portfolio. I even did a demo session with them this morning and they liked very much!  
-Concerning Rubrics, I used to introduce some success criteria to my students but they were not as clear as the ones I created this week using Rubistar.  In this way students know in advance where they are heading to and it will certainly make a difference for them.
-WebQuests give a new dimension to learning and teaching. Students feel very comfortable following the materials created by the teacher. They try their best to do the tasks and meet the requirements.
As a whole, Technology facilitates life but it needs solid orientation and constant reflection!
Enjoy your weekend! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Afa,
    Indeed, it was an important week full of inspiring knowledge and ideas on motivating learning experiences. I liked your brief but profound description of technology.
    Have a nice weekend, too.
    Nihmat, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afa,

    I liked your chart. That's the core of PBL, indeed.

    Thanks for charing.

    Best regards,

    Val, Belarus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachid, I'm happy to hear that your students were interested as you introduced and demonstrated Weebly.com and their e-portfolios!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete